RailWorks Construction Health & Safety Coordinator (Night Shift) in Toronto, Ontario
Construction Health & Safety Coordinator (Night Shift)
REQUISITION NUMBER: 20180906-72801-001
HOME COMPANY: PNR RailWorks USRC
COMPANY LOCATION: PNR RailWorks USRC
BUSINESS UNIT/DEPT: OPERATIONS
JOB LOCATION: Toronto, ON
Under the general supervision of the Health & Safety Manager, coordinates all aspects of company safety programs for assigned region. With the H&S Manager, ensures that safety programs are correctly administered and communicated and that federal, provincial and local laws are met. Ensures that /job sites and offices provide a safe working environment for employees, customers and vendors. Key Accountabilities:
• Conducts regular inspections/audits of job activities, work sites, equipment and processes to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards; completes forms for internal audits.
• Documents unsafe conditions, safety violations, accidents and near misses; works with H&S Manager, Management, and Foremen to recommend corrective or preventative measures where indicated; and takes necessary steps to ensure that unsafe employee activities, procedures, and practices are corrected.
• Conducts investigations and root cause analysis of accidents and injuries through employee interviews, equipment inspections, and site inspections, carefully reviewing the integrity of personal protective equipment, materials, and job-site specific gear; prepares and files reports; recommends corrective action and follows up to ensure actions have been taken and remedies are in place to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future. Refers more complicated cases to the H&S Manager.
• Assists the H&S Manager in the development and implementation of specific safety and emergency response plans. Prepares customer safety tracking reports.
• Prepares reports and maintains safety files and documentation, records and training database. Monitors training database for expirations of training dates, planning recertification training, and development training for new employees.
• In collaboration with the H&S Manager, provides regular worksite and classroom safety training for all employees including new worker orientation, sub-contractor orientation and topics such as WHMIS, company policies and procedures, lockout, contractor orientations, respirator fit tests, hearing tests, etc.
• Grade 12 graduation plus completion of a recognized post-secondary training program specializing in health and safety such as the Construction Safety Officer certificate.
• A minimum of one (1) year recent related safety experience in the RAIL industry or 4 year recent related safety experience in the construction industry.
• Working knowledge of and experience with federal, provincial and local workplace health & safety legislation, rules, regulations and reporting processes and procedures.
• Valid and clean (G) provincial driver’s license.
• Current first aid attendant certificate.
• Ability to use computerized office software including Microsoft Office products.
• Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all levels both internally and externally.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and organize work.
• Shift work and weekend work will be required.
• Exposure to outdoor/construction site environment including all weather conditions.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
PNR RailWorks are to using hiring practices and providing a workplace environment that is inclusive and barrier free. If contacted throughout the selection process, please advise Human Resources in advance if you require accommodation for the interview process so you can be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received regarding accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/ Veterans/Disabled)
Railworks Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities, Females, Veterans, Disabled)